You have been selected to elicit requirements; design; and formulate testing, development, and implementation plans for a software application or system of your choosing. Throughout this course, you will be developing components of the overall specification document that will culminate in the final Key Assignment. Additional information and the deliverables for each Individual Project will be provided in the assignment description for this project.
The first step will be to select an application or a system as the target for developing a comprehensive System Requirements, Design, and Implementation Specification that will have sections from requirements, analysis, high-level, and detail models as well as design, development strategy, testing strategy, and an implementation plan. This project will be used as the basis for each of the assignments throughout the course and should conform to the following guidelines:
- Nontrivial: The selected software application or system should be a scope that is not too large to develop all of the requirements in a 5.5-week period. A few examples of possible projects include, but are not limited to, the following:
- An ordering system (such as pizza)
- An inventory control system (for a small number of parts)
- A labor tracking or time-card system (for a small company)
- An online appointment request system
- An employee emergency contact system
- Domain knowledge: Students should be familiar enough with the application or system to allow focus on their specification documentation.
Select an enterprise that fits these requirements, and submit your proposal to your instructor before proceeding further with the assignments in the course. Approval should be sought within the first several days of the course. Your instructor will tell you how to submit this proposal and what notification will be given for project approval.
For the assignments in this course, you will be developing an all-inclusive System Requirements, Design, and Implementation Specification. Your first task in this process will be to select an application or system to use as the basis of your projects. You will also create the shell document for the final Key Assignment project deliverable that you will be working on during each Unit. As you proceed through each project phase, you will add content to each section of the final document to gradually complete the final project. Appropriate research should be conducted to support the analysis in your report, and assumptions may be made when necessary.