Prepare: As you prepare to write your response to this discussion assignment, you may want to review the following resources as these will help you in developing a topic:
• Developing a Topic (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
• Integrating Research (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. It is also recommended that you review these tutorials from the Ashford University Library:
• Database Search Tips (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
• Evaluating Sources (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. You may also want to review the Sample Final Paper GEN 499_Final (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site., so that you can start preparing your rough draft that is due in Week 4.
Reflect: When considering a research topic, consider an interesting topic that is worth further research. For instance, having a strong opinion on a specific topic may deter you from thinking more critically, and therefore the research might end up being one-sided. It is a good idea to pick a topic in which you can provide a good argument for both sides of the societal issue.
Write: For this discussion, address the following prompts:
• Identify a global societal issue from the following list that you would consider researching further for your Week 5 Final Paper:
o Aging population
o Critical Thinking Skills for the 21st Century
o Gender Inequality
o Global Climate Change
o Global Water Shortage
o Marginalization and Minorities
o Refugee Crises
o Children’s Rights
o Social Media Censorship
• Describe effective methods you used in identifying and narrowing down to just one of the topics to further research for your Final Paper.
• Explain three ways you can critically analyze sources to determine if they are scholarly.
• Summarize information from at least two scholarly journal articles from the Ashford University Library that will support your claims for your chosen topic.
• Explain why scholarly sources should be used to support your writing on the selected topic.