On average, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that 23 percent of the global disease burden can be attributed to the environment (World Resources Institute, n.d.).
In this assignment, you will use an interactive map to identify world patterns of environmental hazards through mortality rates. WHO has published a map providing the percentage of deaths around the world that are attributed to environmental issues from 2004. Access this map using the link given below and review the values listed for different countries:
- World Health Organization (WHO). (2004). Public Health and Environment (PHE): Percentage of deaths and DALYs attributable to the environment, 2004 deaths. Retrieved from
Based on your research, complete the following:
- Identify the top five countries that have the highest percentage of deaths attributable to environmental problems. Are the countries that you identified considered developed or developing nations?
- Identify the five countries that have the lowest percentage of deaths attributed to environmental problems. Are the countries you chose considered developed or developing nations?
- Examine whether developed nations have higher or lower mortality rates caused by environmental issues (as defined by WHO) than developing nations.
- Examine the countries with higher mortality rates from environmental issues on the WHO map. Do they have high or low population sizes when compared to those countries with lower mortality rates?
- Explain your position on whether the population size is directly correlated with the environmental issues. Are there other factors or health determinants, such as social or economic factors, impacting this issue?
- Examine whether the environmental issues would subside if population sizes decreased and were maintained.
Using the readings for this module, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, respond to the following:
- Choosing one nation from the higher percentage and one from the lower percentage, identify a minimum of two of their environmental problems that can be linked to their mortality rates.
- Examine any similarities between their environmental problems and those in your neighborhood.
Support your statements with scholarly references and appropriate examples.
Write your initial response in a minimum of 350 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.