Examine one of the key genres of the Romantic era through a comparison of compositions and composers. Further analysis of the context in which a work of music is created is explored.
Select one of the following pairs:
- Robert Schumann’s “Carnaval” and Hector Berlioz’s “Symphonie fantastique”
- Peter Tchaikovsky’s “Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture” and Bedrich Smetana’s “The Moldau”
Compare and contrast the ways each composer approached the program in these respective pieces. Do they follow clear stories? If so, how? If not, why would we consider them programmatic?
Submit your assignment in one of the following formats:
- As a 350- to 700-word paper
- As a 5- to 7-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation
- As a 3- to 5-minute video
Format your assignment according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines.