Physician practices are a key component of the U.S. healthcare system. According to the text, a significant amount of revenue that the healthcare industry generates can be directly linked to the care that physicians provide for their patients. In addition, physicians in a medical practice add to this revenue stream by admitting patients to a hospital, prescribing prescription medication, ordering home health services and medical equipment, and referring their patients to other healthcare providers for care and treatment. As a future healthcare administrator, it is important for you to demonstrate an understanding of the challenges and opportunities that today’s physicians face in providing quality healthcare services.
Write a four to six page (4-6) paper in which you:
- Compare the main various forms of medical group practice. Next, select the form that would be most attractive to a newly licensed physician. Justify your selection.
- Analyze how the role of the physician in a medical practice has changed in the past twenty (20) years. Assess three (3) specific challenges that today’s physicians face as members of a medical group practice. Support your response.
- Suggest three (3) specific competencies that a physician should demonstrate to be successful as a practice manager. Next, determine three (3) hurdles that a physician might face as the leader of a group practice. Provide rationale for your response.
- Assess the value of effective Human Resources Management (HRM) in a medical practice. Suggest three (3) functions of HRM necessary to attract and retain the type of employees needed for the practice in order to achieve long-term success. Support your recommendations with specific examples of how each function impacts the overall success of the practice.
- Determine three (3) aspects of consumer behavior that the physician’s practice management should consider as part of an effective marketing strategy for medical practices. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources.