As health care delivery within the global community moves towards a greater degree of digitization, there will likely be more technical challenges health care delivery organizations must face as they move from their existing legacy systems to those that are digital.
In this Discussion, you will compare and contrast an electronic medical record (EMR), electronic health record (EHR) and a personal health record (PHR).
The Institute of Medicine has recommended that electronic health records (EHR) should possess eight core functions including:
• Health information and data
• Result management
• Order management
• Decision support
• Electronic communication and connectivity
• Patient support
• Administrative processes and reporting
• Reporting and population health
To prepare for this Discussion, research the Internet for information on EHR, EMR, and PHR, such as can be found at the Web site, http://www.healthit.gov/providers-professionals/benefits-electronic-health-records-ehrs.
In this Discussion, address the following:
• Identify the primary differences between an electronic medical record (EMR), electronic health record (EHR), and a personal health record (PHR).
• What are the primary technical and design complexity issues with delivering these eight core functions? Choose one issue and identify how you would address it.
• How does the integration that is required between the EHR and other middleware products vary depending on whether one is running locally, on an office-based LAN, or online within an ASP model?
Illustrate your points in the context of a patient’s visit to a health care provider.