Latest Event Updates
Objectives Answer the following questions with reference to the relevant legislative provisions operating in Australia concerning the calculation of income tax. Do not consider the effects of legislation potentially applicable other than that specifically identified.
Question 1 10 Marks
Calculate the income tax payable, ignoring the Medicare levy, for the following taxpayers for the year ended 30 June 2016:
(a) An Australian individual who is a resident with a taxable income of $15,000.
(b) ) An Australian individual who is a non-resident with a taxable income of $15,000.
(c) ) An Australian company with a taxable income of $15,000.
(d) ) An Australian individual who is a resident with a taxable income of $155,000.
(e) ) An Australian individual who is a non-resident with a taxable income of $155,000.
(f) An Australian company with a taxable income of $155,000.
(g) ) An Australian individual who is a resident with a taxable income of $255,000.
(h) ) An Australian individual who is a non-resident with a taxable income of $255,000.
(i) An Australian company with a taxable income of $255,000.
(j) An Australian company qualified as a “small business entity” with a taxable income of $100.
Question 2 10 Marks
Calculate the Medicare levy and Medicare levy surcharge payable for the year ended 30 June 2016 for the following taxpayers:
(a) An Australian resident, aged 25 years, with a taxable income of $18,000.
(b) An Australian resident, eligible for a Seniors tax offset, with a taxable income of $32,000.
(c) An Australian resident, aged 45 years, with a taxable income of $45,000.
(d) A taxpayer who is not a resident for tax purposes, with a taxable income of $45,000.
(e) ) An Australian company with a taxable income of $2,500,000.
(f) An Australian resident, aged 45 years, with a taxable income of $110,000, holding private health insurance.
(g) An Australian resident, aged 45 years, with a taxable income of $110,000, and no private health insurance.
(h) An Australian resident with a taxable income of $150,000, holding private health insurance for 90 days of the income year.
(i) Victor and his wife are Australian residents. Victor has a taxable income of $110,000 and his wife Jackie a taxable income of $75,000. They have no children and no private health insurance.
(j) An Australian couple have four children and no private hospital health insurance. What would be the family’s minimum Medicare levy surcharge threshold?
Question 3 10 Marks
You client, Rob, has the following income and deductions for the financial year ended 30 June 2015: salary, $32,000; bank interest received, $150; and allowable deductions for special work clothing, $450. Rob’s employer has deducted $2600 as PAYG tax from his salary during the year.
Calculate Rob’s income tax payable or refundable.
Question 4 10 Marks
During the current income year Rafael, a resident taxpayer, has a gross salary of $68,000 (PAYG tax withheld $15,100), a fully franked dividend of $2,000, an unfranked dividend of $1,000, and a 60% franked dividend of $900. There are no deductions.
Calculate Rafael’s taxable income and tax payable.
Questions 1 & 2 have 10 parts and for the correct answer of each part, 1 mark will be allocated.
Question 3 – Calculation of Rob’s taxable income by applying the statutory formula under s 4-15 ITAA 1997 (2 Marks)
– Calculation of Rob’s tax liability per the ITRA 1986 (2 Marks) – Calculation of the Medicare levy (2 Marks) –
Consideration to Rob’s entitlement to any tax offsets and/or tax credits (1 Marks)
– Calculation of income tax payable or refundable by applying the method in s 4-10 ITAA 1997 (3 Marks)
– Calculation of Rafael’s taxable income by applying the statutory formula under s 4-15 ITAA 1997 (2 Marks) – Calculation of Rafael’s tax liability per the ITRA 1986 (2 Marks) – Calculation of the Medicare levy (2 Marks) – Calculation of Rafael’s Franking tax offset and PAYG tax withheld (1 Marks) – Calculation of income tax payable or refundable by applying the method in s 4-10 ITAA 1997 (3 Marks)
A. Is it right for a nation to go to war and why. Your case analysis paper will be evaluated based on the characteristics of strong critical thinking discussed in the Paul & Elder mini-guide . Be sure to clearly state your position and argue well for it without relying on unsupported assumptions.
B. “A growing number of people today believe that war is always wrong, that no circumstances ever justify one nation’s taking up arms against another. Is the view ethically sound? In answering, be sure, to comment on the questions of a country’s defending itself against aggression and of a strong country’s coming to the aid of a weak country that has been attacked unjustly.”
WRITE A 2 PAGE PAPER, THIRD PAGE SHOULD BE THE REFERENCE PAGE.
NO PLAGIARISM PLEASE.
Watch the movie “Apocalypse Now” and write Apocalypse Now Redux
- Research and contextualize the film in terms of its historical significance in cinema, and describe the conditions (aesthetic, economic, etc.) that led to a different version of the film.
- Briefly discuss the director and cinematographer’s previous work and how it compares to their work on Apocalypse Now.
- Discuss the plot points. What is the dramatic premise? What is our main character’s dramatic need?
- Compare and contrast the two versions of the film.
- Discuss which version you consider to be more “artistic” and why.
Papers should be at least four pages, 12 point font. Make sure to cite your sources using MLA or Chicago-style format. Three source minimum.
The California Supreme Court ruled that an employer will be liable for injuries sustained by individuals due to the negligent driving of one of its employees, stating the following:
A person injured by someone driving a car in the course of employment may sue not only the driver but that driver’s employer. The employer can be sued on two legal theories based on tort principles: respondeat superior and negligent entrustment.
Respondeat superior, a form of vicarious liability, makes an employer liable, irrespective of fault, for negligent driving by its employee in the scope of employment. The theory of negligent entrustment makes an employer liable for its own negligence in choosing an employee to drive a vehicle.
Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper, written in the third-person voice, that addresses the following:
- Explore types of principal-agency relationships and determine what type of relationship exists in this case between the driver, Jose Carcamo, and the company, Sugar Transport of the Northwest, LLC.
- What course of action do you recommend with respect to the lawsuit and Carcamo’s employment?
- Does Sugar Transport’s Human Resources department have any responsibility for their role in hiring Carcamo? If so, what other employment law issues do you find legally problematic concerning the hiring of Carcamo? Identify them and explain the legal issues and laws that were violated.
Include justification for your responses by citing applicable laws and/or legal cases in your discussion.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines, and include headings that appropriately signal topics and keep your document organized.
Use a minimum of three different sources within the paper in addition to the laws and legal cases required above, and provide in-text citations. Any laws and legal cases used in the body of your paper must also be included in the References page.
Keep a human–computer interface (HCI) journal with your weekly observations of HCI issues that pertain to you, your work, your family, and your friends. Be sure to document your journal in chronological order.
Some examples of items you might wish to document could include any type of computer system that you directly or indirectly interact with, such as the following:
- Self-serve checkouts
- Automated soap dispensers
Your journal should meet the following requirements:
- Title page
- Four or more journal entries that include the following:
- Title of entry
- Description and thoughts on the interaction
- A summary of 2–3 pages that discusses the following:
- Your overall experiences
- Items you think could be improved
- Things you would like to see more automated
- How the systems could be improved
- At least 3 references in an APA-formatted reference page. These references should be cited in your summary, and your book may be used as one of your references.
The Heart of Darkness is one of the great literary criticisms of Imperialism in Africa. Marlow, the main character, is originally fascinated by the possibilities that exploring Africa has to offer a young man seeking his fortune and a name for himself, but he later becomes disillusioned with the process. Discuss why Marlow originally had faith in Imperialism, but then came to regret his participation in it.
- Your response should be at least 750 words in length
- Use MLA format for any quotations or citations that you use to support your answer
Three common types of plagiarism you need to be aware of as a student:
- Recycling a paper; “double-dipping”; self-plagiarism: Reusing a paper you have written for a previous course
- Copying directly from a source without proper quotations or paraphrasing: When you try to pass something off as your own work
- Not using proper citations